Disney Streaming Services is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the Activation team. Disney Streaming Services is a best-in-class media streaming technology company powering several of the largest streaming properties in the world, such as Disney+ and ESPN+, and is paving the way for next-generation media and sport technologies. If you enjoy streaming media, are interested in live video and entertainment, or just want to join a fast-growing team that plays an integral part of the revenue-producing arm of a company, then our team is for you.
The Activation team builds and maintains critical infrastructure responsible for supporting Disney streaming media subscriptions, including Disney+, ESPN+, and more to come. Our services allow users to seamlessly access Disney content when making a purchase via their devices. We are an agile team, always open to experimentation, as well as the growth and learning that comes from both success and failure. Joining our team means you'll have the opportunity to work with world-class engineers on exciting new products and problems, on the fastest-growing streaming service of all time, alongside a team that is quickly growing into an exciting new domain. Technologies include Scala, Play, and AWS. Experience in these is preferred, but not required. If you're open to learning new things, or excited to expand your skill set in these areas, you'll fit right in.
The Activation team is committed to both engineering excellence and personal well-being. Some things you can look forward to as a member of the Activation team:
• Co-workers who are committed to finding the right tools for the job, while leaving their ego at the door
• Focus on never disappointing the customer, even when things go wrong
• High value placed on code quality and understanding the true requirements
• A fanatical drive to build systems so resilient that we never get woken up in the middle of the night
This position can be either in-person (eventually) at one of our offices, or remote. The Activation team has members across the US and takes a remote-forward approach to our day-to-day to ensure we have the best people for the job, no matter where they are located.
We truly believe we offer a unique opportunity for any technologist:
• The opportunity to work on a bleeding-edge technology stack.
• The opportunity to work with a world-class team of Software Engineers.
• The opportunity to work on award-winning and complex apps and systems.
• The opportunity to have an influence on the innovation of products used globally by tens of millions of people.
• The opportunity to work in a highly collaborative team environment.
• Amazing perks and benefits
• Craft software for backend systems using Scala, Akka, Play, Golang, AWS, and more.
• Work with a team of engineers building software in a collaborative development process.
• Participate in the full lifecycle of software development (requirements gathering, designing, building, testing, and maintenance).
• You have experience as a leader on your team (formal or informal) and are comfortable both being a strong independent contributor and supporting your teammates.
• You have strong backend experience with Scala, Java, or Kotlin.
• You have an excellent understanding of software development fundamentals, and you aren't dogmatic about technology choices.
• You preferably have experience with AWS services (ECS, DynamoDB, Kinesis, Lambda, etc.) or other cloud providers.
• You have practical knowledge of relational and/or NoSQL DBs, and RESTful web service development.
• You are comfortable building automated testing at different levels (unit, integration, functional) and building resilient applications that handle failure gracefully.
• You have strong design principles (object-oriented or functional).